What is a Mega Menu
Elementor introduced Mega Menus in Version 3.12.
A mega menu is a type of navigation menu that is typically used on websites with a lot of content and a complex hierarchy. Unlike traditional navigation menus that typically display links to only a few top-level pages, mega menus display a grid of links, usually in a multi-column layout, that may include multiple levels of submenus and visual elements like images, icons, and even product previews.
Mega menus provide a more efficient way for users to navigate a website, particularly if it has a large amount of content organized into different categories. They allow users to quickly scan and access content without having to click through multiple pages or menus. Additionally, they can help reduce the number of clicks needed to reach a desired page, which can improve the user experience and increase engagement on the website.
Introduction of Mega Menus in Web Design
Mega menus were first introduced in the mid-2000s as a way to improve website navigation and user experience. They were popularized by eCommerce websites that had a large number of categories and subcategories to display. However, the concept of a mega menu is not new; it is simply an evolution of the traditional dropdown menu that has been used on websites for decades.
The early mega menus were typically created using custom code and were not widely available as a plugin or widget. However, as the popularity of mega menus grew, web developers began to create plugins and widgets that could be easily added to websites without the need for custom coding.
Elementor’s mega menu widget makes it easy for website owners to implement them on their WordPress sites.
Overall, while the exact origins of mega menus are difficult to trace, it is clear that they have become an essential component of modern website design, providing users with an intuitive and efficient way to navigate complex sites with a large amount of content.
Benefits of Using Mega Menus in your design
- Improved Navigation: Mega menus allow you to display a lot of information in an organized and user-friendly way. By providing clear and easy-to-use navigation, visitors can quickly find what they’re looking for, which can increase engagement and reduce bounce rates.
- Increased Usability: By grouping related content and presenting it in a logical and structured way, mega menus can help visitors understand the layout of your website and find the information they need faster. This can help increase usability and reduce frustration.
- Enhanced Visual Appeal: Mega menus can be visually stunning, with images and graphics that showcase your products or services. By making your website more visually appealing, visitors are more likely to stay engaged and spend more time on your site.
- Better User Engagement: Mega menus can help visitors explore your website and discover content that they may not have known existed. By providing an interactive and engaging experience, visitors are more likely to stay on your site longer and engage with your content.
- Improved SEO: By using mega menus, you can improve the internal linking structure of your website, which can help improve your website’s SEO. By providing links to related content and using targeted anchor text, you can help search engines understand the structure and hierarchy of your site, which can improve your search engine rankings.
How To Install Elementor's Mega Menu
1] Install Elementor and create a new page or edit an existing one.
2] Drag the “Menu” widget onto the page where you want the mega menu to appear.
3] By default, the menu is displayed with three (3) menu items. Change the label and the link to Configure the menu by selecting the menu you want to use from the drop-down menu in the widget settings.
4] Click on the item you would like to expand to include your mega menu items. Enable the “Dropdown content” feature.
5] Notice that the menu item in the designer now has a carat pointing down. Click on the menu item to edit its dropdown content and drag the widgets you want to include in the menu item into the container.
You can drag image widgets, text widgets into the container to create your mega menu. Elementor has made it that easy!
Things to consider when designing a mega menu
- User Experience: The most important thing to consider is the user experience. The mega menu should be easy to navigate, visually appealing, and provide relevant information to the user.
- Organizational Structure: The mega menu should be structured in a way that makes sense to the user. The items should be grouped logically and be easy to find.
- Accessibility: The mega menu should be accessible to all users, including those with disabilities. It should be designed with accessibility in mind, such as having clear and concise labels and alt text for images.
- Speed and Performance: The mega menu should load quickly and not slow down the overall performance of the website. Large images and videos should be optimized to reduce load times.
- Responsive Design: The mega menu should be designed to work on all devices, including desktops, tablets, and mobile phones. It should be responsive to the size of the screen and be easy to use on touchscreens.
- Visual Design: The mega menu should have a clear visual hierarchy and be consistent with the overall design of the website. The font, color, and style should match the rest of the website to create a cohesive design.
- Content: The mega menu should provide relevant and useful content to the user. It should be updated regularly and provide links to the most popular pages on the website.
- Testing: Finally, it is important to test the mega menu before launching it on the website. This can be done through user testing and analytics to ensure that it is working as intended and meeting the needs of the user.